1086 Walter de lacy starts to build Ludlow Castle after coming over here in 1066 with William the Conqueror
The Mortimer family arrived in the wake of William the Conqueror and murdered their way through the Royal family
The Princes in the Tower spent their childhood playing around the North Range, Great hall and tudor lodgings before being murdered in London
Throughout the 16th and 17th Century Ludlow Castle was held by the Crown
Many people would have lived within the Castle walls from important nobles to chambermaids and farriers.
On special occasions entertainment in the castle goes back as far as the 16th Century
By 1689 the castle was a ruin then, with the coming of the railway to Ludlow in 1852 and travel being more accessible to all, it became a tourist Attraction
An exciting and ambitious renovation to the Castle House within the castle walls was completed in 2007.
Walter de Lacy, a trusted member of the household of William fitzOsbern arrived in England with the conquering army of William in 1066. FitzOsbern was rewarded for his loyal part in William's victory with an Earldom over the lands of Hereford. After three years of local resistance, fitzOsbern was able to claim his Earldom and planned to keep his new acquisition secure by developing a string of castles along the border of England and Wales. To assist in this plan, he followed the model of patronage and favour set by William the Conqueror himself and began to distribute areas of his lands to his trusted men, in order to keep their loyalty and support. Thus, Walter de Lacy, fitzOsbern's second in command seems to have acquired the lands of South Shropshire - and from there, he appears to be linked with the earliest developments around Ludlow Castle. Walter's sons, first Roger and then Hugh built the earliest surviving parts of the Castle that we can still see today, and the de Lacy family retained lordship until the end of the 13th century.
The Castle Fortress that the de Lacy's built, occupies a finely judged defensive position. Guarded by both the rivers Teme and Corve, Ludlow Castle stands prominently on high ground, able to resist attack from would be invaders from over the Welsh border. Stone was readily available, being quarried from the castle's own site, and water was obtained from a deep well - sunk from what is now the Inner Bailey, down to the level of the River Teme.